Thursday, August 1, 2013

Antique Empire Wardrobe

I recently finished a piece for a client.  She was looking for a neat older piece to house her craft supplies.  I had just the perfect piece for her.  An antique empire wardrobe!

Cosmetically, it was in sad shape.  After all, it was made in 1919.  The old wood veneer was chipping and peeling off and someone had painted a white latex paint on it without using any primer.  Normally with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® there is no prep work required.  However, the latex was peeling badly all over so that required stripping and scraping this piece.

Pretty scary, huh?

I call this piece "The Beast" because it is so big and heavy and required so much work.  The wood was fairly damaged under the paint. We did our best to sand and fill what we could.  I painted with a lot of texture in an attempt to camouflage all of its bumps and bruises.

My client chose Paris Grey for the exterior and Provence for the interior.  It was finished in a clear wax without distressing.


Per the client's request, we added shelves to the wardrobe compartment.  She is going to have tons of storage space between the shelves and all of those drawers!


So what do you think?  Do you like the grey and turquoise combo?  I always love a fun color on the insides of a piece!





This post was featured at Redoux Interiors!



Be sure to "like" The Painted Chest on Facebook!

Follow on Bloglovin

***********************************************************************

Linking up to the following parties:


Tickled Pink at 504 MainFurniture Feature Fridays


DIY Show Off

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Geri!! And thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. I love it! It turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doh! I thought it was white! lol But they gray is equally as beautiful! :)

    (I call my purse "the beast". lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Paris Grey is a very light grey. Also, the lighting in my painting room is really bad. But "the beast" was just to heavy for my husband to drag outside for just for photos.

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful! I see so many wardrobes (and chifforobes) in shops in our area and I am never sure what to do with them. This has given me some great ideas. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzan! I am just drawn to the old wardrobes. (I've bought 4 of them now. Ahem.) They really are wonderful storage pieces and they look great, too! I stopped by your blog and you've done some pretty neat pieces, too!! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's gorgeous. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by yesterday, Mandy! I hope you enjoyed your quiet time!! :)

      Delete
  7. That beast is wonderful. I could really use something like that in my house, but I don't know if I would have had the patience.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog because I have found a new blog to follow! Wow! Your home is just stunning!! So much color and inspiration! And your husband is an amazing artist!

      Delete
  8. Great color choices! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you called it "The Beast"!!! It looks fantastic, I can't believe that is the same piece as before. Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! "The Beast" was a lot of work!

      Delete
  10. Love the colors! Did you put new knobs? They look glass in a couple of the pictures, but then close up they look painted. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The knobs are actually the original wooden knobs that I painted. My client wanted to keep as much of it original as she could...other than the paint. I think the bad lighting in my paint room cast a shadow that made them look glass in one of the pictures. "The Beast" was much to heavy for my husband to take outside just so I could take pictures. :)

      Delete
  11. Had to come back again, featuring tomorrow at my party, thank you so much for linking it up at redouxinteriors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Karen, are you serious?! What an absolute honor!!! Thank you so much!! This is a first for me and I'm so appreciative!!!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, opinions and ideas. Share with me!!