Monday, January 4, 2016

Antique Buffet Painted in Mermaid Tail DIY Paint



You guys, I am SO excited about this piece!  The pictures do not do it justice!

This antique buffet was a family heirloom for one of my clients.  It has definitely seen better days.  It had previously been painted and stripped and left sitting for a long time.  It was very wobbly and the doors were broken and warped.  My hubby went to work right away making it sturdy and taking the doors completely apart and gluing and clamping them back together.  Then it was my turn to work some magic.

 BEFORE


AFTER



My client wanted a very rustic, worn look in turquoise and I suggested a stained top.  If you've been following me long, you know that a stained top on any piece is my signature look.  I will say, that this was a little out of my comfort zone.  I don't typically do a lot of heavy distressing and I very rarely use dark wax.  It's just not my personal style.  However, I wasn't doing this piece for me or to sell, I was doing this for a client.




Since the wood was so light in color, I stained the entire piece in Java Gel Stain first.  When that was dry, I painted 2 coats of  DIY Paint in Mermaid Tail.  It's a bright turquoise/aqua color...but it wouldn't be for long.




When the paint was dry, I started distressing using a damp old sock.  DIY Paint is so easy and wonderful to wet distress.  No sanding dust in my house!  WooHoo!




The next day I applied dark wax directly to the paint.  No, I did not use clear wax first!  DIY Dark and Decrepit Wax can be applied directly to the paint without using a clear wax first.  Simply brush the dark wax on and immediately wipe away the excess wax.  You are then left with a gorgeous aged patina.






I love how the dark wax settle into all of the gorgeous details and nooks and crannies.




I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite pieces to date.  I wanted to keep it for myself.  :)  I ended up really loving the heavy distressing and dark wax.  Mermaid Tail was made for dark wax!










Be sure to follow The Painted Chest on all of your favorite social media sites!

  
  
I'm linking this project up to the DIY Like a Boss Party!
#DIYLikeaBoss Weekly Features

15 comments:

  1. This is my piece and I can't thank you enough for bringing it back to life for me. It was my great grandmas and I can't cherish it forever now and enjoy that it is "my style". It is the first thing that is seen when you walk into my house and I'm so glad because it is AMAZING!!! You definitely exceeded my expectations with it. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† happy client right here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question marks were suppose to be smiley faces...

      Delete
    2. Thank you, BreAnna! I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. beautiful! I love the way you distressed this, Mermaid with the dark wax is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debi! It really is! My kitchen table is painted in Mermaid Tail. It's now getting a coat of dark wax, too. LOL

      Delete
  3. Magnifique! What, if anything, did you use to seal the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DM Daniel, the top is sealed with Minwax polycrylic.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I have a matching set of these and now I know what I can do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I would love to see pictures when you finish them!

      Delete
  5. So fantastic! I'm in love with the Mermaid Tail/Dark Wax combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this paint line. The colors are beautiful and it's really easy to work with. Can't wait to see some of your pieces. dΓ©cor

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my piece and I can't thank you enough for bringing it back to life for me. It was my great grandmas and I can't cherish it forever now and enjoy that it is .
    office com setup

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad and enjoyed your BLOG, It is very informative on the subject or topic, and Thanks For Sharing this post. I have something to share here
    Get up To 90% Off buy modalert online

    Get up To 90% Off buy artvigil online
    Get up To 90% Off buy waklert online
    Get up To 90% Off buy vilafinil online

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, opinions and ideas. Share with me!!